Steampunk fiction, reviews and interviews

#RainbowSnippets: Necromancers

Happy Saturday! I hope you’ve enjoyed whatever festivities this season brings you! I’m writing this post on Friday and out the window is a lush blue sky and crisp cold morning with the Rowan next door giving us a last late burst of flame! Tomorrow we are supposed to have snow, I’m not sure how I feel about that! lol! The RA has kicked in and I’m sky high on painkillers right now so things that are going to make mobility even more difficult are a bit daunting! LOL. Here’s wishing that when snow does hit we can all enjoy it (even if it’s just admiring it from a window seat!) 😀

Here’s my #RainbowSnippets post for this week – if you’re new to this, Rainbow Snippets is a chance to read and share 6 sentences of LGBTQIA+ fiction every Saturday. There’s a huge variety from Steampunk, like mine, to Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal, Comedy and everything in between. You can join the fun and read all the other fabulous snippets at the wonderfully friendly and supportive official facebook group here.

As it’s still the spooky season I thought I’d do a few snips from a WIP which is the very last book (probably) in my Steampunk series Ashton’s Kingdom.

About 500 plus years after the events in the first book (The Curious Adventures Of Smith And Skarry) a forgotten cult are still obliviously serving their long-dead leader, Wiz, and trying to find the secret of immortality. Sort of. Actually daily temple life revolves more around knitting circles, bridge nights and summer fetes… until two novices stumble upon the secret of undeath themselves and unleash a couple of very unlikely ‘gods’ (and one disgruntled octopus) upon the unprepared and erstwhile peaceful community.

If you missed the first part you can catch up here: #RainbowSnippets: Necromancers

rendered

“Sorry,” Douglas ventured, shuffling sideways along what he hoped was the back row of folding chairs. There was an almighty crash as something large and metallic clattered to the flagstone floor. “Sorry! So sorry,  Francis, er, I mean Your Grace…”

“Douglas!”

“Sorry!”

“Late again Douglas, and I see the rest of your red-robe order are a no-show as usual, we have already begun the casting!”

Poor Douglas, can he appease Arch Cleric Francis and their fellow Necromancers for disturbing their casting? I’ll let you know next week 😉 Meanwhile have a fabulous weekend folks 😀 and don’t forget to check in at the #rainbowsnippets facebook group for more fabulous snippets of LGBTQIA+ fiction

10 responses

1. Love the tone and mood of this! (heart)

Liked by 1 person

November 9, 2019 at 6:07 pm

• smithandskarry1

Thankyou! I’m really glad you’re enjoying it 🙂

November 11, 2019 at 7:24 am

2. I’m so sorry you’re suffering with your RA 😿 I really hope you’re still flying high…and stay there if you’re about to be buried in snow!😲
    I couldn’t agree more with rhodrymavelyne; I do too❤️ I loved it. Thank you for sharing the snippet…and the link to Smith & Skarry. I’ve pre-ordered my copy and shall wait, with breath abated, for the 15th to roll ’round. 🥰

November 9, 2019 at 8:56 pm

• smithandskarry1

Aw thankyou for the pre-order! – I really hope you enjoy it 😀 And I’m really glad you liked the snippet too 🙂 Thanks so much for the sympathy, it’s so kind of you – luckily we didn’t get the snow (or the dreadful floods that hit Yorkshire! Yikes, those poor folk!) and we just stayed in and played Dragon Heist all weekend so thankfully with the dry spell and rest the RA is starting to calm down again 🙂

Liked by 1 person

November 11, 2019 at 7:39 am

• Aw, you’re welcome, I can’t wait to read it! 🥰 Oh, I did, I loved the snippet.❤️ I’m so glad that the RA is starting to calm down, I hope you don’t suffer tooo horribly this winter. I’m verily glad you didn’t get deluged with snow or flood water. (poor peeps, it’s soso sad, 😢) I’m glad you were cosy indoors and hope your gold stash was bursting with bounty.🥰

Liked by 1 person

November 11, 2019 at 4:48 pm

3. Actually daily temple life revolves more around knitting circles, bridge nights and summer fetes… 🤣 Because of course, it does…it’s a Penny Blake story! 😁💖

So sorry to hear about your RA kicking up. I hope it subsides quickly for you. ❤️

Liked by 1 person

November 10, 2019 at 1:35 am

• smithandskarry1

LOL – but of course! (takes off top hat and gives a little blushing bow) XD – and thankyou so much for the sympathy and well wishes , it’s so kind of you! We had a nice restful weekend playing DnD and the weather is drying out again (for us at least!) so the RA is starting to subside again 🙂

Liked by 1 person

November 11, 2019 at 7:43 am

4. Oh dear… well, I guess it’s better having him be late rather than a no-show like the others.

Sorry to hear your RA is giving you grief. Pre-ordered my copy of Smith & Skarry’s adventures.

Liked by 1 person

November 10, 2019 at 7:58 am

• smithandskarry1

Aw thanks so much for the pre-order, I really hope you enjoy it! 😀 And thanks so much for the sympathy too, it’s very much appreciated, I am starting to feel a lot better this morning after a nice rest and some dryer weather! 🙂 As for Douglas… let’s just say his oblivious attitude to Temple Politics often lands him in everyone’s bad books!

November 11, 2019 at 7:50 am

5. Someone hasn’t had his weetabix! Impressed he didn’t trip over the folding chairs. Those things are evil incarnate…

November 12, 2019 at 9:23 pm