Steampunk fiction, reviews and interviews

#RainbowSnippets: Necromancers

Firstly I have an ENORMOUS apology to make to everyone who has pre-ordered the first Smith and Skarry book and is as disappointed as I am with the formatting mess that landed in their kindles on Friday 😦  Despite hours (read months, lol) of careful checking and formatting,  the file has landed and it’s … weird… fonts which I carefully embedded haven’t been embedded properly, page breaks carefully added haven’t worked, for some reason some is in capitols and some in lower case… I am going to enlist help and sort it out somehow asap.

I can only apologise to anyone who has pre-ordered and say that if you’d like a free PDF of the file and / or a free copy of my small tea painted book on gender and identity ‘Utterly Myself’ featuring Max and Collin as an apology get in touch via fb or email (ladywiththewyvern@gmail.com) and I will send you one.

I have published digital books before and not had this problem, and the digital proofs they sent me all looked fine but it seems all the research I did into the new KDP publishing platform hasn’t paid off or perhaps there is a discrepancy between the digital proof they send for us to spend hours going through with a fine toothed comb… and the actual way they format the final book? I don’t know. Any experienced advice with the new system would be hugely appreciated!

So, yes, very contrite and disappointed, I apologise enormously and if you have pre-ordered and are as disappointed as I am, please message me and I’ll find a way to make it up to you.

In the meantime, HAPPY SATURDAY! (maybe, lol!)

Here’s my #RainbowSnippets post for this week – if you’re new to this, Rainbow Snippets is a chance to read and share 6 sentences of LGBTQIA+ fiction every Saturday. There’s a huge variety from Steampunk, like mine, to Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal, Comedy and everything in between. You can join the fun and read all the other fabulous snippets at the wonderfully friendly and supportive official facebook group here.

As it’s still the spooky season I thought I’d do a few snips from a WIP which is the very last book (probably) in my Steampunk series Ashton’s Kingdom.

About 500 plus years after the events in the first book (The Curious Adventures Of Smith And Skarry) a forgotten cult are still obliviously serving their long-dead leader, Wiz, and trying to find the secret of immortality. Sort of. Actually daily temple life revolves more around knitting circles, bridge nights and summer fetes… until two novices stumble upon the secret of undeath themselves and unleash a couple of very unlikely ‘gods’ (and one disgruntled octopus) upon the unprepared and erstwhile peaceful community.

If you missed the last part you can catch up here: #RainbowSnippets: Necromancers

rendered

Douglas gulped as tapers flared on either side of him and the candles were slowly re lit illuminating hundreds of furious faces all glaring at him. He fumbled frantically with the circular tin he had been cradling…

“I…. I brought cake…”

“What?” Arch Cleric Francis lowered their knitting needles and the rest of the assembled necromancers did the same.

“Sticky toffee double fudge triple chocolate tray bake with crystalised ginger?” Douglas ventured, prising off the lid and offering the tin with a trembling hand.

“Oooooo!”

General pandemonium ensued as the Necromancers all abandoned their half completed cast-ons and scrambled for a slice of Douglas’s offering.

Cake really is the answer to everything isn’t it?! 😉 Have a fabulous weekend folks 😀 and don’t forget to check in at the #rainbowsnippets facebook group for more fabulous snippets of LGBTQIA+ fiction

21 responses

1. I’m so so sorry your release day was spoiled. 😢 I haven’t checked my tablet, but the copy on my chromebook Kindle app doesn’t appear amiss, except that titles (which I think you will have formatted) are printed in bigger block type, rather than fancy font. I have paragraphs and page breaks & beautiful pictures though. I’m chuffed to bits with it.❤️ NB: I’ve just this minute checked my Tablet version and it looks Perfect.😻 I have chapters, titles and its all spaced beautifully. I’m not sure which you’ve seen, but I love both versions of mine.🥰

My own digital proof looked much as it did when I saw the final copy…but, the tablet/Kindle version is a lot fancier than the chromebook version. The latter just appears with bold print titles, no fancy font, whatsoever. How rude.😲I formatted the Duke & Dandy by loading a Word manuscript (with a chapter index & page breaks already inserted) onto the KDP doodad, and did it most of the formatting for me. I faffed with it a lot, but only HAD to set the type for the blurb etc, correct line spacing mishaps, typos, and then choose the Style I wanted. Oh, and choose ‘Title’ from the menu to set the type face of those.

I hope that something I’ve written is useful or comforting..but suffice to say, I’m thrilled with my Smith & Skarry and plan to spent tomorrow delighting in it. As my reward as soon as Ch 10 is posted.

Happy Saturday to you too!🌹 I loved the snippet😻

😧😧 Eeek! Phew, I’m sooo glad he brought cake. 😋 I never met a mishap I couldn’t solve with sugar…at least until it I’d scoffed it anyhoo.😳xx

November 16, 2019 at 6:38 am

• smithandskarry1

Aw you’ve made my day, honey, thankyou so so much – the version I saw was on my cloud reader as my ipad is playing up again so it sounds as though it is an issue with how it shows up depending on which device it’s on. I will try today to look at it on the kindle app and also on an actual kindle and see how everything compares. EVERYTHING you’ve written is both useful and comforting, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time you have such a huge heart – thankyou. I used the KDP tool as you did and I thought it was really swish and streamlined everything, the only thing I didn’t do was use the Titles tool because it kept turning the wring bits into titles and erasing poor Collin or sticking him in stupid places, lol, so maybe that was the issue that was playing up on the cloud reader? I will try and see if there’s a way to make it work. I’m so glad you’re happy with your copy though, and thankyou so much for saying so, I really hope you enjoy reading it 🙂 And YAY I’m looking forward to reading your next chapters and finding out what your chaps will get up to next! 😀 I’m glad you liked the snippet too – you’re so right, there’s no problem so large it can’t be solved with cake XD ‘CAKE – don’t leave home without it’ XD XD

November 16, 2019 at 9:42 am

• Aww…you’re very welcome🥰 I’m so chuffed that your Kindle version looked so much better than the cloud reader one. I’m just so sorry you had to suffer such a sad release day. I’d intended to post about it on my blog & twitter but saw your FB just beforehand, so I thought i should wait until you were happy with it and gave me the go ahead. – but I’ll post them when you do ❤️
        I thought it was all very swish ‘n’ fancy until I tried to fandangle all sorts…I may have made it a whole lot worse before it got a bit better😳 I suspect you have to keep the text well clear of the title before faffing with that, and then backspace the text back to the right place, Or else the title font had a most unfortunate effect on my line spacing 😧

erasing poor Collin or sticking him in stupid places,
        Oh noo! Poor Colin…how rude!😲
        I am verily happy with my copy🌹❤️🌹 And so looking forward to reading it. 🥰
        Aww…thank you ❤️

Oh I did, I loved it! 😻 There sure isn’t, so I won’t.! Nor stay home either😲🤗 XD XD

November 16, 2019 at 5:03 pm

2. Sorry you are experiencing format problems, Penny. Dang old digitalia.

Thanks for the background on the Necromancers.

Happy Trails!

November 16, 2019 at 1:00 pm

• smithandskarry1

Thanks Icky! As always your support is hugely appreciated! 🙂 Think it’s sorted now – it seems it just displays differently on different devices and there’sa small issue with the titles which I’m pretty sure I can fix now – phew, panic over I think! lol

November 16, 2019 at 1:27 pm

3. LOL! Way to placate a room full of necromancers, Douglas! 🤣

November 17, 2019 at 3:40 am

4. LOL! Way to placate a room full of necromancers, Douglas! 🤣 Great snippet!

November 17, 2019 at 3:40 am

• smithandskarry1

lol, I’m so glad you liked it! Yep, sometimes cake is the only answer! 😉 XD

November 18, 2019 at 7:57 am

5. I’m sorry to hear you experienced formatting issues. It looks a little wonky to me, but that’s likely to do with the fact I read on my phone’s tiny screen.

It’s good to see things a looking up for Douglas. I guess bringing cake makes all the difference. 🙂

November 17, 2019 at 6:57 am

• smithandskarry1

Aw I’m really sorry it looked a little wonky for you 😦 It seems to be fine on kindle and fine on the kindle app for ipads etc but the cloud reader doesn’t like it at all – the main problem being with the titles which are all fragmented and the fonts which are randomly capitol and lower case with no rhyme or reason. I’m going to re-embed the fonts and re-set the titles and then re-submit the file and ask KDP to update the old file and hopefully that should fix the problem across all devices. If you still have problems though give me shout. xx

Re Douglas, yep, lol, cake saves the day yet again! 😉 XD

November 18, 2019 at 7:52 am

6. Douglas is a genus!

November 17, 2019 at 8:11 am

• smithandskarry1

lol, he totally is! XD

November 18, 2019 at 7:46 am

7. Laughing at the “casting” pun. Awesome!

November 17, 2019 at 8:01 pm

• smithandskarry1

lol, thankyou! I’m glad that tickled you! XD

November 18, 2019 at 7:42 am

8. 🤣 OMG, I love how that cake smooths the way!

I started reading Smith and Skarry today and had no concerns over formatting. And I’m loving the story so far. I don’t think I’ve ever giggled my way through an introduction before. That was hilarious!

November 18, 2019 at 2:29 am

• smithandskarry1

lol, cake is definitely the answer to everything! Aw I’m really really glad you’re enjoying the story – and that you found the introduction hilarious! That’s awesome news and has totally made my day! I’m also super glad to hear the formatting is fine for you too! – after a long weekend investigating it seems the only device it looks wrong on is the cloud reader and others who’ve had similar problems have said that that seems to be a common one, although the consensus is that it may be a tech issue from their end which is a shame, still I’ve contacted KDP for advice on how to sort it out. Fingers crossed! 🙂

November 18, 2019 at 7:42 am

• I hope you get your answers quickly. If you’re anything like me you’re vibrating with nerves the entire time it’s less than perfect. ❤️

November 18, 2019 at 1:20 pm

• smithandskarry1

Aw thankyou lovely! -and yes I’m the same, you’ve got me pegged, lol! x

November 18, 2019 at 1:42 pm

9. Pingback: #RainbowSnippets: Necromancers | Blake And Wight . com

10. Cake can smooth over so many things! And that one sounds delightful. Love the snippet!

November 23, 2019 at 2:09 pm