Steampunk fiction, reviews and interviews

#RainbowSnippets: Necromancers

Happy Saturday! I hope you’ve all survived Christmas and are looking forward to the new year!

Here’s my #RainbowSnippets post for this week (a wee bit over 6 sentences, sorry, but some of them are only one or two words!) – if you’re new to this, Rainbow Snippets is a chance to read and share 6 sentences of LGBTQIA+ fiction every Saturday. There’s a huge variety from Steampunk, like mine, to Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal, Comedy and everything in between. You can join the fun and read all the other fabulous snippets at the wonderfully friendly and supportive official facebook group here.

About 500 plus years after the events in the first book (The Curious Adventures Of Smith And Skarry) a forgotten cult are still obliviously serving their long-dead leader, Wiz, and trying to find the secret of immortality. Sort of. Actually daily temple life revolves more around knitting circles, bridge nights and summer fetes… until two novices stumble upon the secret of undeath themselves and unleash a couple of very unlikely ‘gods’ upon the unprepared and erstwhile peaceful community.

If you missed the last part you can catch up here:

rendered

To refresh the scene, Reynard may have finally realised the gravity of the fact that his clerics are eating babies, but he’s still trying to dance daintily around the issue of having to deal with it – which is still driving his husband Vivienne crazy… This snip follows straight after the last one and Reynard speaks first:

“But to get back to your original point, the red robe order is as sacred and holy as any other that Wiz ordained – it cannot be disbanded simply because one of its members…”

“All of its members.”

“A few of its members, have accidentally strayed from the approved spiritual path.”

“They’re eating babies, Reynard…”

“Will you stop saying that?” Reynard pressed a hand to his mouth as if he was going to be sick, “I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast.”

“…and they’re exchanging the blood of the temple virgins for packets of liquorice all sorts.”

Reynard let his forehead rest wearily on his palms for a moment before looking up again, “so what is your plan?”

Happy New Year everyone! And don’t forget to check out all the other fabulous snippets on the official fb page here: official facebook group here.

10 responses

1. Happy Saturday to you! It’s so good to have you back.🥰

😂😂
    Oops.🤭
    Oh, he’s priceless😂 😇

“They’re eating babies, Reynard…”
    😲🤭
    They’re fabulous….every word a gem. I adore them…thank you for sharing❤️ Happy New Year to you❤️

Liked by 1 person

December 28, 2019 at 5:15 pm

• smithandskarry1

Aw, thankyou my lovely one and the happiest of new years to you too! I’ll be back in full swing on Monday – we’ve had such a topsy turvy Christmas, lol, my head is still spinning! But I’m going to spend time next week catching up with everyone properly. Aw, thankyou, I’m so glad you love them – it makes them even more a joy to write!

Liked by 1 person

January 4, 2020 at 10:23 am

• Aw, thank you 🥰 It will be lovely to have you back in full swing when your head has stopped spinning! 🤩Oh I do…you’re very welcome❤️

Liked by 1 person

January 4, 2020 at 5:03 pm

2. Blood for licorice. I might be up for that trade.

I am absolutely in love with this story. When is it going to be released? Or did I miss a buy link? I want MOOOOORRRRRE!

Liked by 1 person

December 29, 2019 at 5:56 pm

• smithandskarry1

Aw thankyou so much, I’m so glad you’re enjoying it that much, that’s awesome! It’s not released yet but it goes to my lovely editor next week and assuming she doesn’t recommend any huge changes it will be available shortly after that – if you don’t want to wait tho and you’d like a free Advance Review Copy in the form of a pdf I can send you one? 🙂

January 4, 2020 at 10:27 am

3. I love the dynamic between these two. I’m excited to read the whole story.

Liked by 1 person

January 4, 2020 at 4:21 pm

• smithandskarry1

Thankyou! They are such fun to write for! And I’m glad you’re looking forward to reading it all – not long to wait now! 😀

January 6, 2020 at 12:34 pm

4. Well, it seems he’s finally ready to admit the order’s faults. But will he agree with his husband’s idea of handling it?

Liked by 1 person

January 11, 2020 at 1:17 am

• smithandskarry1

He is indeed (just!) Um, I think he expects Viv to wave a magic wand and make it all just go away with no inconvenience to him… XD

January 13, 2020 at 10:56 am